Sunday 29 December 2013

Is there anyone still there?????

Hello? It's me. Remember? I'm still here! I've just seen that this is only my second post this month, which is pretty poor....but it was either post or finish....and the finishes had to win, for obvious reasons, that close to Christmas!
Did you all have a lovely Christmas? Or lovely time, for those who don't celebrate it? Mine was the usual round of eating, eating and eating...and just when I think I couldn't squeeze in another crumb, I go ahead and open a box of chocolates. Oh well...I suppose I could claim that I needed to make back the calories I lost due to a rather unpleasant tummy bug just before the big day. I'll spare you the details; suffice to say that it's one of the "perks" of working with children-the little darlings share EVERYTHING!
On a huge plus point, I followed Gordon Ramsay's advice, on what to do with a turkey. I'm not a major turkey fan (and had indeed tried to convince The Husband to try something different...to no avail) as I tend to find it a bit dry, no matter what I try. Now, I realise that most of you probably sail through Dry Turkey Syndrome, but you must remember that I am Cuisine-ally Challenged. So, following Gord's example, I spent a rather unpleasant 20 minutes pushing a buttery mess underneath the poor creature's skin. The turkey, not Mr Ramsay. The next tip was to let the bird stand/rest for the same amount of time that it had cooked. This bit was scarier than the buttery mess bit.....leave the turkey to one side for a full 3 hours????? Well, I did it (fully prepared to sue if my Christmas Dinner was ruined!) and it was the BEST THING EVER!!!! I had an oven free to pop in all the extras and trimmings, without the usual Krypton Factor style puzzles as to what could go where....and the turkey was moist and tender. Mr Gordon Ramsay, I salute you. I am converted.
As for other Christmas Day excitement, my darling children gave me a glue gun. A beautiful pink one. I know that I have survived for nearly 48 years, without needing one.....but all of a sudden, I NEEDED one. I don't even have any particular projects in mind.....I just couldn't imagine further life without one! Watch this space!
And now that the Race Against Time that was my lead up to Christmas is behind me, I've found time to whip up a small (36"x36") quilt top for a friend's new baby boy......


I used the pattern from Camille Roskelley's book "Simply Retro", which I've used before. It's so effective and comes together quickly and easily.....just my cup of tea. Talking of which....I feel a brew coming on, so I shall love you and leave you.
Thank you for popping by, and hopefull I'll see you soon. xx

2 comments:

  1. ha ha Brilliant post as always Kirstie!! I just read your turkey trials aloud to my hubby as he did the exact same thing and in the end I was beginning to feel he was having a relationship with the turkey! there was an abundance of massaging and feeling up of the poor bird.
    I haven't touched my blog! I'm so useless at writing it at the moment. Have a wonderful new year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you K, and that you survived Christmas. Your turkey sounds mouth watering! We had a lovely day, and been fairly relaxed since. All good! Jxo

    ReplyDelete