Friday 20 July 2012

A Soggy Sort Of Day...

I'm sitting here, blogging, feeling as though I've been dragged through my late Nan's mangle. How she used to fret, as she stood beside me, turning the handle, worrying that my fingers would get too close, and become crushed between the rollers. Well, let me tell you Nan, I feel as though the whole of me has just been given one of your laundry-day sheet treatments...Not that I look any the slimmer for it! I'd better explain....
In my normal day job, I run a Pre-School. Now, although I'm not known for my paperwork skills or my organisational ones, either, I'm quite good (bang own drum here, blow own trumpet....heck, I'm my own one-man-band) at getting on with the children, in a no-nonsense, JoyceGrenfell (see previous blogs) sort of way. And I absolutely ADORE them. However, today was Leavers' Party Day, and the end of my school year. A day where we have a few party games, some party food, yet more party food, and then the parents all return, to share in a small Presentation Ceremony, during which each Leaver is called forward, applauded and given a book, as a present to remember us by. Normally, I'm quite emotional during this part of the day. Past parents happily giggle, as they discuss my tearful farewells, perhaps comparing them to previous years.
Well, let me tell you, this one should go down in the history books, as the WORST one EVER!! The tears started flowing last night, as I finished wrapping the books. They then started again this morning, when a friend mentioned the fateful words "End Of Term", over a cuppa in M&S, before the party started. Thanks, Emma. SEVERAL tears were shed when I started to welcome the children into school....Long story, short.. I SOBBED my way through the Presentation. I SOBBED when I said bye-bye to my littlies. I SOBBED when I got home, and looked through the kind and thoughtful gifts and cards that the parents and children had given me..... And I am now, officially, a rather soggy, puffy-faced (no elegant Sophia Loren graceful tears for me, my friends!) headache-y wreck.
To jump to my defense (well, I can possibly manage a limp, and only then because I have to...no-one else will), this year was a BIGGIE. Twenty, out of thirty-four children, leaving me, and of those, half of them we've known since they were mere twinkles in their mummy's eyes....ok..a couple of the older ones were new born babies, when we first met... Anyway, that's the reason behind my soggy day.....
Moving on (and remembering why I started a blog in the first place).... I've finished the quilt.....


I'm quite pleased with the way it came together, finishing at a reasonable 35" square, making it ideal for a cot, or perhaps a playmat? I'm selling this one, so if you're interested, get in touch!



I'm going to go and lie down in a darkened room now.....clutching cucumber slices for the swelling....I hope you all have a lovely weekend. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment