Tuesday 27 August 2013

Of Farmer's Wives and Throwing In The Towel........

Have you ever been working on a project, and the more you worked on it, the less you liked it? I'm afraid to say that that is exactly what has been happening on a Secret Quilt Project that I've been spending every spare minute on, recently. I've tried to like it. Truly I have. I'm not even sure what it is that I don't like about it. Everything started nicely. For a while, things even rolled along swimmingly. And then the rot set in, when I started working on the borders......
It's an EPP project, so progress is understandably slow. I don't mind that. I love EPP. It does, however, lull you into a false sense of security. Because I enjoy the process, I can sit all evening, sewing happily away, convincing myself that all is well with the world. Also, due to the lack of speed, you need quite a while before you see the full effect of the bit you're working on. Anyway...you get the idea....lot's of work, becoming less and less sure that I'm happy with said work.
Finally, last night I Threw In The Towel. I can't show you the thrown article, as I may one day resurrect it, and as I said earlier, it's supposed to be a surprise.
It was inevitable, really, as this has been waiting in the wings, softly calling my name.....


I've wanted to make a Sampler Quilt for a while now, and loved the history linked to this book. I then thought I could make it predominately in blues and creams, with small red accents, as a nod to it's ancestry. Once I'd put the Offending Piece Of Work out of sight (and mind!), I eagerly set to printing off templates and cutting out fabrics. (There are 111 x 6" blocks, so I'm fairly confident that my stash will take quite a beating)
I finished Block No.1 last night......


(It's not really wonky, just a little camera shy, and nervous about lying flat.)

Today I managed to find a quiet 10 minutes, and cut out Block No.2......


I'll give you a wild guess as to what I'll be doing later.....

Thanks for popping by. See you soon. xx

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like jumping from the frying pan into the fire K!! Good luck!Jxo

    ReplyDelete