Friday 30 August 2013

Not Quite The Adventure I'd Signed Up For........

Yesterday saw me back at the hospital, for yet another hernia repair. It would appear that in the Battle of The Bulge, whereby the Bulge is supposed to be kept at bay by Stomach Muscles, said Stomach Muscles are losing. Pathetically. That or I have Herculean Strength Bulges.....Hmmmmm.....
So there I sat....


....attractively doing what I do best. I got all of these basted......


.....and even managed to get some of them sewn together, before I was called for my operation.....


......and that's where the sewing stopped, and The Adventure began.

Apparently, Hernia quite liked it on the "outside" world, and was quite loath to be pushed and pulled back from whence it came and held there, against it's will, by surgical gauze, which meant that Mr Surgeon had a tougher fight than he'd expected, which in turn lead to a longer operation than anyone had anticipated. And that's where the real excitement started.
For those of you who don't know me, you won't know about my funny heart. When I say "funny", I mean that I have very low blood pressure, and a low pulse rate, which is erratically erratic. For the most part it doesn't bother me, and I don't bother it, though one day I may well need a pace maker, I'll cross that particular bridge when I get to it.
However, yesterday, My Darling Heart decided it didn't want to play ball with the anaesthetic. When I came round from the surgery, all was not well in my world. My pulse decided to slow right down to 40......I could have tried my hand at that very, VERY deep sea diving, where you descend to where the wild things are, had I not been feeling quite so rough. Coupled with that, my blood pressure couldn't be bothered to get up from the floor. The doctors and nurses were having a party, tipping my bed so that my feet were waving down at the rest of me, taking blood pressures and ECG Readings as if they were going out of fashion. Suffice to say, that I was not let out yesterday for good behaviour.
Today dawned brightly at 5.00am, when they decided to remove my catheter.....always a joy, and SO glamorous.....and hoo and haa a little more over various readings. Until finally it was decided that my lack of blood pressure wasn't that exciting after all, and I was sent packing.
Very, VERY sorely, I arrived home to find a beautifully wrapped present waiting for me.....


Thank you, a thousand times thank you, Jane! It was JUST what the doctor ordered.
See you all soon. xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kirstie,
    That was a bloody tough time of it. So sorry that you had to go through that, but was happy to hear that you weren't allowed home if you were a bit dodgy! Love that photo of you and Tony on your wedding day, you know my email address so send me a clearer one so I can have a good look at you woman x
    love and warm wishes as ever
    Geraldine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh K! What an absolute bummer of a week! You really will have to cut out the gymnastics from now on! Take it easy if you can! Jxo
    P.s. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete