Tuesday 30 April 2013

"Can You just.......?"

When I was a child, Mum made most of my sister's and my clothes.....whether it was by sitting at the sewing machine, knitting machine, or on the sofa with needles in hand. She also made all of the curtains in the house....in fact most of the soft furnishings. On top of all this, she also made all of the MANY costumes I needed for the gazillions of dance festivals I did whilst growing up. She often also made them for friends, too.
I can quite clearly remember several occasions, when I said " Can you just....make this skirt/make this top/shorten my dress/make a roman blind/make a matching duvet set....?" (Delete where applicable!) And her answer was always the same: "Kirstie, you can't `just` anything when it comes to needlework......" However, as nine times out of ten, I ended up with whatever it was I'd asked for, I just thought it was Mum making a bit of a fuss.
So, now fast forward to the present day. I don't make dresses. Ever. I stopped knitting when my children grew faster than I could make the jumpers. I do crochet. I love embroidery. I quilt a lot. And what did I hear the day before yesterday? " Mum, my friend's baby is due next month.....can you just...?"
Well, let me tell you, Daughter No.1, Grandma was perfectly correct. Six hours, over three evenings, and I've just finished the central panel, of what will become your friend's baby quilt.....


.....borders still need to be cut and sewn, batting and backing pinned into place, quilting done, binding sewn on, and of course hand finished.....Hmmmm...It'll be interesting to see exactly how long a "Can-You-Just" takes!
Thanks for popping by. xx

1 comment:

  1. LOL! That's a recurrent phrase in my house too! It doesn't help when sewing programmes on TV tell you how to make curtains in 30 secs!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete