Friday 24 August 2012

New tricks.....

Well. After my fabulous day at the Festival Of Quilts, I've hummed and haaad about venturing into free-motion quilting. I've watched umpteen clips and tutorials on You Tube (yes, my friends, there are hundreds!), and researched various techniques (there are quite a few of those, too!).
Up until now, I've always hand quilted, which I enjoy, but it takes FOREVER, and if I'm ever going to make more than about 5 quilts a year, I simply MUST go faster.......
So....how hard could it be? Well let me tell you: blinkin', flippin' very hard.....

....this was my first effort. The lady on one of the video tutorials, said that the technique could take a while to perfect. A WHILE?? No s**t, Sherlock!! Pardon the Francais!
But, not one to give up easily, I persevered, and tried out different speeds, and this was my 5th attempt...

Obviously, it's nowhere NEAR good enough to get anywhere NEAR one of my quilts yet, but there IS definately an improvement, don't you think?
I quite like doing the loopy, joined-up "eee's", and seem to have grasped the ability to make them quite smooth, and to go more or less where I want them to go.
Tomorrow, I might get ahead of myself, and try some linked up heart shapes....well ....let's just hope that this particular dog isn't TOO old......
Thanks for popping by. Have a lovely weekend. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment