Sunday 17 March 2013

Doll Quilt Doubts...

I'm not entirely sure why I put myself through the swaps I sign up for. This is only the second one I've done, and last time was exactly the same.
I start off very enthusiastically, and then the self doubts start to creep in. The process is not helped by the fact that when you're participating in a swap, you're encouraged to post progress photos on Flickr. That's not the hard bit. No. The hard bit is, that while you're there putting your photo on, you get to see the work of the others in the group. And THAT'S where the trouble starts.....
The way I put a quilt together can come as no surprise to those who know me well. I obviously start with the fabric, and there is usually a vague idea in place. But then I tend to just plod on....changing and tweeking, adding to or taking away as the mood takes me. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time I don't mind.
And then I see what others are doing, and The Floodgates of Worry burst open. I then spend the rest of the time trying to work out what other little gifts I can put in with the Swap, so that my partner doesn't hate me! At the end of the day, that's what it boils down to. The "quilt" can always be used as a duster, if the recipient doesn't like it (it would make a very robust duster-my stitching is good and firm!)....but all that eager anticipation, trying to guess which of the Flickr offerings will be heading your way.....only to find that it's mine that drops through your letterbox. The disappointment could crush a person. And then A Person might hate me..... I might be banned from future swaps.....Oh The Shame......
This is my offering so far.....


....all ready to be pieced together, then hand quilted.
I think my best line of defense is to blame my failing eyesight (more on that soon) and blinding headaches. Perhaps if I send a letter written in Braille.....I could go for the sympathy vote?
Oh the angst. Darkened Room, here I come.... xx

1 comment:

  1. Your mini is looking great! I've no doubt your partner will appreciate the many hours of hard work you've put into it! Great design. Jxo

    ReplyDelete